Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Luscious Love and a Lazy Morning

If there's one thing I've learned over the past few months, it's that i am definitely not ready to jump into the workforce. While I still can't see myself being anything but a baker, there's still plenty to wish for in the pastry world. Why can't people appreciate the time, thought and overall energy that goes into a single baked good. Baking is definitely not as fun in a bakery as it is at home- where you can take as much time to indulge in the process and experiment with ingredients as you like. What it all comes down to is that working in a bakeshop is stressful and, unfortunately, does not allow for much creativity.

And that is why days off are a saving grace. And yet they are never enough.

So, I decided to give myself a real break today. As usual, there was lots of cleaning to do (another reality check of this 5 month Portland excursion- keeping up my own apartment). But, as usual I put it off. Despite the nagging in the back of my brain, I stayed in pajamas until 1 pm. Yes, I said 1 pm. Why? I have no idea, and it bothered me. And yet, it was great.

Oh and did I mention the great breakfast I made?

I might not have started cleaning until around 2 pm, or went grocery shopping until 5, or made use of the day that has now put several less hours between me and my return to work, but at least I made use of one of the thousands of delicious ideas that are bursting in my head. Cherry Almond French Toast. Yes, vegan French Toast. Thanks to the newly discovered wonders of EnerG Egg, which is one idea that I wish I'd come up with myself!

Speaking of ideas, can someone please  buy me a food truck so I can put these ideas into real products so they don't burst my brain into a thousand pieces? Cooking for one just doesn't do the trick! Oh and a driver would be good too. Thanks- I'm not a Portland girl for nothing!

And now to the yumminess.


Vegan French Toast for One

1 1/2 tsp. EnerG Egg Replacer
2 tbsp. warm water
1/2 cup soy milk
1/4 tsp. almond extract, or to taste (I just streamed some in)
1 tbsp. brown sugar (or however much you feel like putting)
4 (1/2" thick) slices bread (any bread will do, mine was homemade)

Spray a large fry pan with non-stick spray. Heat over medium heat.
Combine all ingredients except the bread in a shallow bowl. Dredge the bread, one slice at a time, turning the slices to fully soak them. The softer the bread, the less soaking time it will need (sandwich bread needs only a quick dredge, while sourdough will need to soak for several minutes.
Place the bread slices in the hot pan, arranging them to fit as many pieces (in a single layer) as possible. Don't move the slices for a few moments once they are settled in the pan.
After 2-3 minutes, check the brownness of bottom side of the toast. If golden, flip and cook 2-3 more minutes. Remove onto a serving plate and keep warm. Keep the pan hot to cook the sauce.

Bursting Cherry Sauce

Put about 1/2 cup frozen cherries in a bowl. Sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar, then toss to coat all cherries fully in sugar.
Pour cherries into the hot pan that you cooked the toast in. They should be in an even layer and should sizzle as they hit the pan. Let the cherries cook for a minute or so, they gently toss or stir them to heat on the other side. With your spoon, squash the cherries slightly to let out some of the juices. Cook until cherries are softened to your liking. Pour over the French toast, then serve.


Whether you were out of ingredients (most importantly maple syrup), feeling lazy or self indulgent, craving a taste of home, or all of the above (me), this will be just the thing any sweet tooth needs!

And to continue your day of vegan comfort food, head on over to Pastelitos for Amy's African Peanut Soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment