Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I've gone vegan!

Well.. ok, only partially vegan. I guess technically I'm not vegan at all. But for about 2/3 of my day, usually all except one meal, I eat animal-free. No meat, eggs, dairy. That can be pretty hard for a baker that likes to taste everything through every step of the baking process. But so far I've done good, and the best part is; this is a diet that lets me eat all the sweets I want!
That brings me to the real topic of today's post: Cupcake Hero! Yes, the contest is back again, which makes me realize both how little I post, and how quickly summer is going by (why does it have to be that way). Anyway, I love this month's challenge: coconut; and the added challenge that my friend, Amy, and I have put on ourselves to make a great tasting vegan coconut. Of course, I like to think out of the box with my flavors, so I've created two delicious creations that are all vegan from the first bite to the last.
In creating my cupcakes, I knew i wanted to make a cupcake that was delicate, had a recognizable coconut flavor, and had a punch of spice. Being from a Swedish background, and loving Swedish Cardamom Bread and the potent, chai-like aromas of the cardamom pod, I wanted to include cardamom in one of my version. Cardamom pairs well with orange, which would make a tropical pairing with coconut; made delectable by a vegan cream cheese frosting. So ca-boom! my first vegan cupcake creation!


Zinger Coconut Cupcakes


2 cups cake flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
the zest of 1 orange
1 1/2 tsp. cardamom
6 oz. Earth Balance Buttery Sticks (or other non-hydrogenated vegan margarine)
1 1/4 cups coconut milk (I used like)
2 tbsp. flaxseed meal
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Line a standard, 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
  3. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, orange zest and cardamom in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
  4. Add the margarine and 2/3 cup of the coconut milk on low speed. Mix until incorporated, then increase to medium-high speed and beat 2 minutes, or until fluffy.
  5. Meanwhile, combine the remaining coconut milk, the flaxseed meal and the vanilla. Add to the fluffy mixture and beat on low speed until incorporated.
  6. Fold in the coconut.
  7. Distribute the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups.
  8. Bake in the preheated oven for 18-25 minutes, or until golden and just barely bouncy to the touch. Cool completely before filling or frosting.

Orange “Cream Cheese” Frosting
2 oz. Earth Balance Buttery Sticks Margarine (or other vegan margarine
4 oz. Tofuti Imitation Cream Cheese
2-3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla (a couple splashes; whatever you like)
1 tbsp. orange juice
  1. In an electric mixer, cream the margarine and Tofuti until smooth.
  2. Add about half of the sugar and blend well.
  3. Add the vanilla and orange juice, then whip, momentarily, until smooth.
  4. Add enough powdered sugar to make the desired consistency of frosting for your cupcakes. This frosting does not taste like tofu, even though I thought it would at first.
Frost the Cardamom & Orange Coconut Cupcakes with a generous amount of frosting (don’t frost to close to the edge, the frosting will naturally make its way out). Garnish with toasted coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment